One of the many nice things about staying home for the holidays is tackling all those tasks you never seem to get around to the rest of the year. Okay, maybe I didn't exactly get around to "all" those tasks, (after all, how often do I get to eat cookies and watch a trashy chick flick in the middle of the afternoon?) but I did tackle a few.
Bare walls bug me. (So do white ones, but that's another story.) We are blessed with high ceilings and a great deal of (white) wall space, so when it comes to wall decor, bigger is better. I decided to crank up the volume of a framed 5x7 photo I took because it was barely noticeable. See below. I think the 8x10 balances out quite nicely at our entrance.
The little creature encased in glass on the table is a piece of art by Zoe Williams, a terrific artist originally from New Orleans. Zoe works with a dry felting technique called needle felting; a very time and labor intensive form of art. "Needle felting is a dry felting process in which the use of special barbed
needles replaces heat and water in the production of wool felt. The technique
was originally adapted from industrial felting machines, in which thousands of
such needles are used simultaneously to produce felt sheets. Needle felting by
hand is a very slow and painstaking process; in all but the earliest stages of a
piece, Zoe uses only a single needle. No armatures are used; each piece is solid
wool with the exception of additions like glass eyes, feathers, beads, and the
wood plaques/frames on which some pieces are mounted."
Our critter is called "Rabbit with Key" and is part of her 'Skeleton Keys' collection. Here is Zoe's website in case you are intrigued.
No comments:
Post a Comment