Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Melakwa Lake Hike

In the summer my camera is crammed with an over-abundance of photos since every weekend is filled with some sort of outdoor activity or local getaway. As the weather turns I'll start circling my blog back to my previous partial trip posts, but for now I'm just too excited to share each fresh batch of adventures.

This weekend we hiked up to Melakwa Lake. This was my fourth time, and either I was more in shape in the past, or I conveniently forgot about its challenges. The hike is 9 miles roundtrip and even though it's not the steepest one I've tackled, the terrain is so rocky that even downhill is slow going. On the way down just as I thought my feet would fall off, we encountered a Pica which was a welcome distraction. Picas are super cute and recognizable by the "Eep" sound they make. And yes, it sounds exactly like "Eep". Trust me, I've mastered it. ;-) 


We had to traverse under the noisy I-90 overpass to get to the good stuff.



Can you spot the hikers in the boulder field?






 

Heading back.











No comments:

Post a Comment