Saturday, November 2, 2013

Belated birthday

Finally, a day to sit in my pajamas until noon and muck around with the hundreds of photos I've been snapping over the last few months. November is wasting no time announcing its intentions and on its first day is walloping us with a wind storm. It's no surprise then, that I linger over photos from August when we drove East to spend Labor Day in Lake Chelan, a small resort town that promises its visitors 300 days of sunshine. The glacier-fed lake is 50.5 miles long, 1.5 miles at its widest, and 1486 ft at its deepest. Lake Chelan is the third deepest lake in the U.S., and the 26th deepest in the world, so it's fitting that the name Chelan is a Salish Indian word, "Tsi-Laan" which means 'deep water'. 


Lake Chelan is packed with activities ranging from paddle-boarding to miniature golf to wine tasting. I seriously considered giving paddle-boarding a try until I stuck my toes in the water. Glacier-fed water feels, well, glacial, even if it's 90 degrees outside. I think I'll reconsider giving paddle-boarding a shot somewhere that feels more like a warm bath when I fall in.


When it's this clear, you know it's gotta be cold.


Of course that doesn't stop some people from jumping right in.


We opted for the drier, warmer version of being in the water...

Warm little piggies.

Doesn't he look overjoyed to be having his picture taken?
Let's take in a few more views....

The park across the street from our hotel.





Did I mention that it also happened to be my birthday? Eastern Washington is packed with vineyards so we celebrated the 3rd anniversary of my 39th birthday at Tsillan Cellars. The view's not too shabby, eh?


Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment