| Sans Souci beach in Honolulu (not the enclosed part - the beachy part) Photo taken from a vacation rental listing on VRBO. |
In all fairness, I should mention that I was there for only two days, and the weather was ideal, which makes any place seem even better. Well, maybe not Detroit. Or Gary, Indiana. But when you've been living with 40-degree weather, drizzle and gray skies for 7 months, 85 degrees and sunny is heavenly.
![]() |
| A bit of a mountain view from our hotel parking lot |
Ashland's main thoroughfare, like any small town's, is crammed with boutiques, cafes, bookstores and restaurants. But the boutiques are upscale, the cafes and restaurants are largely organic, and there are more bookstores than you would expect in such a small place.
![]() |
| Where the magic happens: The Elizabethan Stage |
What charmed me most about Ashland (in addition to it being a cute town) is that it's centered around three of my favorite things: literature, theatre and a great big, beautiful park. Established in 1908, Lithia Park is on the National Register of Historic Places and consists of 93 acres of forested canyonland along Ashland Creek. The sprawling park includes large, open green spaces, a bandshell, two duck ponds, tennis courts, a small Japanese garden and miles of hiking trails.
Strolling through this lovely park on a gorgeous day, we came across the three deer below quietly munching on some grass in the shade. A few feet beyond them, a mama duck led her squawking ducklings to a nearby pond. I felt like I'd stumbled into some idyllic scene from a fairytale and half expected the Seven Dwarves to appear, bunnies to gather at my feet, and little birds to land on my shoulders and chirp me a cheerful tune.
Lithia Park's name originates from the lithium oxide found in the creek's water -- the second-highest concentration of any natural spring (the highest being in Saratoga, in upstate New York). The people of Ashland are very proud of their spring water, and you can drink as much of it as you like from one of the fountains in the town square. Too bad it smells and tastes terrible.
Curious about how Ashlandites really live, we also wandered away from Lithia Park and the main drag. Because the park and town center lie in the bottom of the valley, we had to head uphill to get into the neighborhoods. When you head up, you get views. And more deer.
Unaccustomed to wandering for hours in 90 degree heat, we eventually headed back downhill and ducked into a bookstore cafe for some lunch in the shade.
Rested and refreshed, we hit the pavement again. Ashland has the highest concentration of bed-and-breakfasts I've ever seen. Since the town caters to literary and theatre-minded tourists, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to see B&B's tucked into even the most residential of streets. Oh, and more deer.
The final stop before we left town for our next destination was dinner on Calle Guanajuato overlooking Ashland Creek. The pedestrian thoroughfare is named for Ashland's sister city, Guanajuato, Mexico. Most guide books will tell you that you'll have a hard time finding a bad meal in Ashland. We left there unable to prove them wrong.
Someday, when I win the lottery, I'll move to Ashland, open an art gallery and buy a nice bungalow with a view. With luck, the deer will come for free.








No comments:
Post a Comment