Thursday, April 26, 2012

Decking Out the Deck

With each passing weekend in April I grew more anxious and excited to revitalize our deck. I knew I had to wait until April 20 when a major project at work would reach completion and I could finally ease up on the long hours in front of my computer. When 4/20 rolled around (there's a joke here for those who get it) it did not disappoint. Temperatures reached into the 70's and we had 3 glorious days of sunshine. Now if you live anywhere in the South, this may not seem like a big deal. But the last time Seattle saw the 70's was probably 7 months ago.

What makes Seattle so special this time of year is the proliferation of blooms. The entire city bursts with flowers and greenery and the streets and parks are packed with sun-starved Seattleites who strip down to tank tops and Tevas even though the mornings and evenings are still quite chilly. The garden stores spill their wares onto the sidewalks and this weekend I happily joined the crowds in picking out new inhabitants for our deck.


We live across from a grade school and our deck looks out onto the play field which is fantastic because in the Summer our view is a wall of green. I took the above photo 4 days ago and the greenery has become even more vibrant and dense.


My poor plants rarely stay in one spot because I'm always adjusting them so they receive the best possible light and, more importantly, so they look pretty.

Reserved for the tanning team.
Above is the warmest spot on the deck which faces East and enjoys the full sun until late afternoon. This is where we sit back, relax, and say 'Ahhhh'.


Stinky loves having access to fresh air and naps in the sunshine. Unfortunately we have to keep him off the deck because the birds and squirrels in the surrounding trees might be too much of a temptation. He already has a long-standing feud with the crows.

Happy Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment