Our draw to Bellingham was its proximity to hiking, and the reputed splendors of Chuckanut Drive. So we were more than a little disappointed when the landscape became increasingly socked in by fog. Chuckanut Drive itself is a beautiful, winding road lined with old-growth trees. But what differentiates it from all the other beautiful, winding, tree-lined roads in the Pacific Northwest is its views of the ocean and Canada. Unfortunately this time around, trees were all we were going to get.
After a quick tour and lunch in historic Fairhaven, it was time to check out the place my honey had come up with: an eco-inn called the Tree Frog Night Inn.
The sign was pretty cute so I figured the place couldn't be too bad. The driveway was densely wooded with a few fenced-in clearings and what appeared to be a chicken coop. Immediately I started to laugh and reminded M of past B&B's where the chickens and roosters made sure sleeping in wasn't an option. (FYI I am NOT a morning person and I'm quite surprised that one of the feathered little fiends didn't "accidentally" end up under one of my tires.) M nervously laughed along with me (thinking, I'm sure, 'oh god, please let these be QUIET chickens) as he pulls into a spot in front of the B&B labeled "Turkish Suite." Come again? We're staying in a Turkish-themed suite in the middle of nowheresville Washington? Goodbye chickens, hello anticipation. I can't wait to see our place!
| Entrance to cottage suites embellished with touches from local artists |
| A portion of the main house, yard and the cottages |
After moving our belongings into the Mediterranean Suite (apparently "Turkish" fit better on the parking sign than "Mediterranean"), we settled on the lanai to enjoy the peace and quiet. The owners, Kurt and Kara, stopped by to welcome us and extend an invitation to a benefit concert they were having next door for a friend. Not really knowing what they meant by "concert," we smiled and nodded and continued to enjoy the warm sunshine and the murmur of the wind in the trees.
Soon, female vocals came wafting in with the breeze. They were light and ethereal, the kind you would hear at Cirque de Soleil, or if fairies and wood nymphs really did reside in the forest. Curiousity eventually got the better of me and I had to see from whom these beautiful voices emanated. We made our way to the property next door and discovered a clearing with a wood bandstand built by Kurt, the owner. It was clear that the ladies singing were trained and accomplished vocalists, blending their voices in perfect harmonies.
The performance was a perfect welcome to a relaxing and regenerating weekend. Below is a peek inside the Mediterranean Suite:
| Living Room |
![]() |
| Hand painted trim over the doorway to the bedroom. |
I don't normally take photos of bathrooms, but this was one of the prettiest I had ever seen. Kurt and Kara had clearly put much thought and care into the decor and design.
| That isn't a rug - it's tilework! |
After a good night's rest, mercifully quiet chickens, and a phenomenal breakfast prepared by Kara, we returned to Chuckanut Drive which finally revealed its pretty views.






No comments:
Post a Comment